You may or may not know but this week is mental health awareness week.
I am not an expert on this subject, this article is purely intended to help with momentum/profile of this issue and help support facilities like Mates in Mind.
Below are some of the very concerning stats surrounding this topic in the construction industry;
- 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem in any given year (Mind UK).
- A Mind and YouGov poll (2014) found that over half of workers (56 per cent) found their work very or quite stressful.
- In construction, employing some 2.1million workers (constituting 6% of the UK workforce), some 350,000 people experience a mental health issue at any one time
- Suicide is the single biggest killer of men aged under 45 in the UK, with 76% of all suicides in 2014 being men (ONS, NISRA, GRO 2014).
- Research suggests that in the construction sector, people could be 10 times more likely to die by suicide than from on-site accidents
Through taking action to tackle the topics highlighted, everyone within the industry can play an important role in making a difference, and ultimately improving the image of construction and indeed other industries.
Mates in Mind aims to support business through training, support and campaigns to have a better understanding of mental health and to help fight the stigma surrounding it.